Products

Home Forums eaDocX queries Artifact printing twice

Home Forums eaDocX queries Artifact printing twice

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Tom Tomasovic
    Participant

Hi!

Strange problem that I don’t seem to be able to resolve.

I have created Artifact objects as children of a package and an element (component).

I have created a profile for the package, which includes printing its children (inline). When the package prints, the artifacts (children) print twice.

I have also added the children to the component profile (different artifact), and they print properly.

The profiles for the Artifact (stereotypes) are identical.

Hope someone can make a suggestion!

Thanks!

Tom

eadocX Support
    Participant

If you send an XMI of the bit of the model, and a little document with the Profile, to support@, I’ll have a look.

Tom Tomasovic
    Participant

Issue resolved. This occurs if the artifacts are children of a Package. In that case, there is no need to add them to the Package profile. They are included “automatically,” if a profile is created for them. Adding them to the Package profile makes them print twice.

(Note that I have not confirmed what will happen if no Artifact profile is created and they are added to the Package profile. That would be interesting to investigate.)

Thanks!

Tom

eadocX Support
    Participant

This brings-up an interesting wider point.

Is it ever OK to print some data twice in the same document?

In a manually written document, the answer is clearly NO!
    But if it only happens occasionally, and the reader can see that it’s an duplicate (it’s formatted the same way), and the model+generator approach makes 100% sure its exactly the SAME data, that where’s the harm? It’s something we try hard to avoid when writing the eaDocX generator, but maybe something which we should educate our readers to expect, once in a while.

Tom Tomasovic
    Participant

Either I don’t understand your premise, or I don’t agree with it. I can’t see any reason why a user would want to look at a list of 24 items and be forced to realize that it’s actually only 12 repeated twice, particularly if they are all formatted identically.

That’s the issue I was dealing with.

As I think I reported, this seems to be specific to the Package element and, in that case, it’s pretty easy to accommodate, once you know what’s going on.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Compare licence prices

Choose the licence that’s right for you and your team

Prices

Download a free trial

Download eaTeamWorks today for several free for life features, plus no obligation, 30-day trials of all the products: eaDocX, ea Revision Manager, eaSheets, Model Expert and PortfolioManager. Discover for yourself why we sell the world’s best-selling Enterprise Architect extension.

Download