Products

Home Forums eaDocX queries Compatability with Excel 2003

Home Forums eaDocX queries Compatability with Excel 2003

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    robert sheridan
    Participant

I am using Excel 2003 SP3 and have installed the compatibility pack.
    When I try and open a spreadsheet generated from eaXL I get an error that the file format or file extension is not valid. I had previously closed the document in EA and closed eaXL.

eadocX Support
    Participant

We don’t do very much testing with Office 2003 any more.

We plan to stop supporting Office 2003 quite soon – not in 3.3 (next release) but perhaps in v4: there are just too many big differences between 2003 and 2007+, and we’re finding a bunch more now that we’re testing eaDocX 3.3 with Office 2013.
    Sorry for the bad news, but there’s only so many different release we can sensibly support, and our recent survey of eaDocX users suggested only a small minority are still stuck on 2003.
    Despite this, I’ll pass-on the request for the eaXL team to have a look at this, and see if there’s a quick fix.
    BTW: are you using all English-language versions of the OS and Excel ?

robert sheridan
    Participant

Yes, using english language, locale United Kingdom (have seen earlier post!)

Adrian Support
    Participant

Hello

Just built a fresh VM with EA 10, eaDocX and Office 2003 and as you say it is possible to save files with the wrong extension although my version of XL didn’t complain.

If you use the “file | save as” menu it will name the file with the extension .xlsx which is incorrect 2003, I checked and looks like the internal format of the created file is correct, so by renaming the file from say bookxxx.xlsx to bookxxx.xls it should work.

Alternatively, if you use close the tab and save the file from the presented dialog it will save with a .xls extension.

In all cases the content appeared valid – so it is an extension issue. Interestingly we didn’t get a warning but they may due to differing configurations. It would be useful to know that by renaming you can open the file OK.

Regards

robert sheridan
    Participant

That work for me as well, apologies should have thought of trying that.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Compare licence prices

Choose the licence that’s right for you and your team

Prices

Download a free trial

Download eaTeamWorks today for several free for life features, plus no obligation, 30-day trials of all the products: eaDocX, ea Revision Manager, eaSheets, Model Expert and PortfolioManager. Discover for yourself why we sell the world’s best-selling Enterprise Architect extension.

Download