Products

Home Forums eaDocX queries Error message when trying to create/open document

Home Forums eaDocX queries Error message when trying to create/open document

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Fatin Bapira
    Participant

Hi!

I had the trial version of Eadocx on Windows 7 computer and it worked well. Now when I try it on a new computer with Windows 10 installed , it doesn’t seem to work. I don’t know if it has anything to do with this or if there is someother problem.
    I get this error message (attached pic) whenever I try to open or create a document.

I need to be able to fix this as soon as possible, thank you.

Fatin Bapira
    Participant

Fixed it! My mistake.

stephen pinfold
    Participant

Hi.

I am experiencing exactly the same problem with the EA trial and I cannot open a word document. In the reply you said that you managed to fix the problem. Can you please add a comment on how you fixed it.

Fatin Bapira
    Participant

Hi!

I fixed it that time by re-installing eadocx. It worked then, but then I had other problems. And now I get the same error message like I had. You can see this post, I still haven’t fixed it. If you find a solution, please post it.

https://store.eadocx.com/forum/2-eadocx-queries/1316-open-word-document

stephen pinfold
    Participant

After many attempts to fix the problem for almost a year, one of our IT Ninjas has found the problem though we’re not at the point of a fix yet.

[url= http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21992629%5D http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21992629%5B/url%5D

Watch this space

eadocX Support
    Participant

Ninja indeed – this is great work!
    We have a couple of other eaDocX users who have stumbled into this one as well. Please let us know if a fix emerges.

Neil harrison
    Participant

Hi

I also have this problem

This is the message I get….

Neil harrison
    Participant

Sorry this is a follow on from the above.

I was using EA Docs trail version for a couple of days but after the IT people roiled out Office 365 and its associated Skype for business and the one drive blah it stopped working and gave me the error above.

The thread above
    http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21992629

has indicated that it is indeed associated with the Skype for business installation.

My strategy is to get the IT people to remove Skype and see if EA Docx works. If it does then I hope when we re-install Skype then we monitor the MS office gubbins to make sure it doesn’t mess things up again. (it is all described in the IBM thread)

I’ll let you know how I get on.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Neil harrison. Reason: error
    Neil harrison
    Participant

This is all fixed.

My IT guys is great. The solution was to give me a new laptop with a fresh “deployment image”. This was a Dell Altitude E7240 with Windows 7 enterprise (it will have all the current patches), with Office 2016, and Skype for business. We loaded EADocx and it seems to work. Well I don’t get the error message. (I have not done much testing and I’m not going to get a chance to work with it for a few more weeks – but if I get the snag again I’ll repost)

This is speculation as to what caused the problem. It is likely to have been due to us putting office 365 onto the old laptop (same model) after I had installed EADocs the first time, as this most likely upset the office application “gubbins” that makes it possible for programs to use each others features (the gubbins includes DLLs). Installing programs overwrites existing DLLs, and then un-installing them often does not fix the problem because once a new program has overwritten a DLL then when it is uninstalled it clearly can NOT undo the overwrite. So potentially an alternative solution to getting a fresh laptop is to uninstall EADocs and then run the office “repair feature” and then re-install EADocxs. We didn’t do that because getting a new PC is a 5 minute job in the organisation I’m with.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Neil harrison.
    eadocX Support
    Participant

Excellent answer Neil – thanks

Tom Tomasovic
    Participant

I just went through the same problem, and here is what I found:

Two versions of Skype for Business 2016 available. The “standard” version (what is normally installed) breaks the DLLs for any version of Office other than 365 (as best I can tell); second version is “stand-alone,” which, apparently, isolates the DLLs and allows other (older) versions of Office to function properly along-side of Skype for Business.

One relevant link from Microsoft is https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3139711/how-to-install-the-skype-for-business-basic-stand-alone-client

One minor caveat which I have not completely worked out: I am now getting regular errors from MS Office, saying that there is an issue and asking whether I want to “repair” my installation. Of course, I did this the first (one or two) times the error appeared. Now, I have taken to ignoring the error and, thus far, there seems to be no impact.

I will try to remember to update this thread, if I confirm this is something related to the Skype for Business installation.

Tom B)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Compare licence prices

Choose the licence that’s right for you and your team

Prices

Download a free trial

Download eaTeamWorks today for several free for life features, plus no obligation, 30-day trials of all the products: eaDocX, ea Revision Manager, eaSheets, Model Expert and PortfolioManager. Discover for yourself why we sell the world’s best-selling Enterprise Architect extension.

Download