Products

Home Forums eaDocX queries Error trying to add a Quick document

Home Forums eaDocX queries Error trying to add a Quick document

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Joel
    Participant

Hi,

I recently downloaded the lastest trail version of eaDocX and though i’d give it a go. I followed the introductions to eaDocX from the downloadable training material and the first task is to create my first Quick document. But when I try to do that I get the error message that you can see in attachments.

So I started searching here for someone with a similar problem but didn’t really find any. So I did some troubleshooting on my own but to no avail. As far as I know you’re not required to make changes in settings for document/repository/application in order to make eaDocX work?

I’m running EA version 12 (12.0.1213) with eaDocX trail version 3.8.4.2.

Does any of you see what might be the problem here?

eadocX Support
    Participant

Sorry that you are having problems.
    I’m afraid that I can’t translate the error message, but it looks like there is a problem with eaDocX talking to Word.
    Do you have a full install of MS Word? eaDocX needs to access the Word .DLLs, so a full install is needed, not office 365.

Joel
    Participant

I have a full installation of MS Word, although it might be a bit outdated. My company runs MS Office 2007 version 12.0.6747.5000.

Can that be the problem?

eadocX Support
    Participant

As you say, 2007 is a bit old, but it’s only 2003 which we no longer support, so that shouldn’t be the issue.
    Can you get any bit of eaDocX to work? Can you open an existing Word document in eaDocX? There is also an installation check function in eaDocX: see ‘Extensions / eaDocX / Help / Check installation.
    This tests many of the interfaces between eaDocX and Word, and, if you turn on the eaDocX Trace (as suggested by the feature) then we can often detect some installation errors. But it can’t detect 100% of problems – Windows just isn’t kind like that.
    But its wort a go.

Joel
    Participant

I found a solution!

The registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTTypeLib{00020905-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} seems to be the problem.
    Apparently this key determine which version of word to use, I think. I’m out of my element here.
    Anyways, I had three different version availbable there – 8.4, 8.5 and 8.6. I found that 8.4 points to word 2007. I took backups of these, just in case, and deleted 8.5 and 8.6. I rebooted and tried Quick document again and voila – it works!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Compare licence prices

Choose the licence that’s right for you and your team

Prices

Download a free trial

Download eaTeamWorks today for several free for life features, plus no obligation, 30-day trials of all the products: eaDocX, ea Revision Manager, eaSheets, Model Expert and PortfolioManager. Discover for yourself why we sell the world’s best-selling Enterprise Architect extension.

Download