Products

Home Forums eaDocX queries Formatting Content Below Numbered Header

Home Forums eaDocX queries Formatting Content Below Numbered Header

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sam
    Participant

I’m using eaDocX Trial to determine if it is something I want to purchase for generating documents out of EA. I have a simple structure in my Project Browser that looks like the following:

See Example 1 in the Attachment.

I want to create a document that looks like the following:

See Example 2 in the Attachment.

I have created word styles to format the document similar to above. In Word for each header style, I can set the attribute “Style for Following paragraph” to a user defined style. “Normal” style will not work because, for each header’s following paragraphs, the indent setting is different. It appears that any Inline data printed after the header will only use the “Normal” style. Is there any way around this? The following is the format of the document that is currently produced.

See Example 3 in the Attachment.

eadocX Support
    Participant

If you open the Word document in eaDocX, in the eaDocX menu there is a ‘Options and Settings’. This controls, amongst many other things, which Word styles are used for which bits of generated text.
    The ‘Inline’ bit determines which Word styles are used for regular paragraphs and headings, and the ‘Tables’ bit does the same for tables. So, you can choose your own styles to use for the text which follows a heading.

Sam
    Participant

Thank you for your response. I don’t think I explained what I’m trying to do very well. So, I will try again.

When the document generator prints Header 1, the paragraph following it should be indented by 0.5″. When the document generator prints Header 2, the header should be indented by 0.5″ and the paragraph that follows should be indented by 1.0″. When the document generator prints Header 3, the header should be indented by 1.0″ and the paragraph that follows should be indented by 1.5″.

The document generator is formatting the headers correctly because I can set Word Styles for each header. What I’m asking for is a way to set the style for paragraphs that follow each of the headers which are different.

How can I set the paragraph style of the paragraph that follows Header 1 to indent 0.5″? How can I set the paragraph style of the paragraph that follows Header 2 to indent 1.0″? How can I set the paragraph style of the paragraph that follows Header 3 to indent 1.5″?

See Example 2 in the originally attached document.

eadocX Support
    Participant

Ah – I think I see. It’s the indentation.
    This can’t be done with eaDocX. We have designed it to make documents which are as consistent as possible, so this is the kind of thing we’re trying to avoid!
    Just out of interest, why does the indentation need to look this way? Is it your choice (because it’s just what you want to see), or a restriction imposed on you ?

Sam
    Participant

Corporate procedures and documents follow this format style include a lot of US government agencies. It is easier to read and locate section in the document.

Thank you for your help.

eadocX Support
    Participant

I’m having another look at this, just to make sure…
    How do you achieve the effect today? Do you manually indent the text, based on the heading level of the section that the requirements are in?

eadocX Support
    Participant

OK – we’ve had another think about this, and the consensus amongst the eaDocX Elves is that the only way to do this is to:
    (1) generate the document using eaDocX, so that ALL paragraphs have a defined Word paragraph style, then
    (2) write a Word macro which parses down the document, probably using the Outline levels, remembering at which outline level you are at each point, then change the indent level on each paragraph/table/diagram to have an indent which is appropriate to the indent level, then move down/up to the next outline level.
    Should be fairly straightforward, as it could be done in a single pass, and, once you’ve created it, should run against any document which has predictable paragraph styles.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Compare licence prices

Choose the licence that’s right for you and your team

Prices

Download a free trial

Download eaTeamWorks today for several free for life features, plus no obligation, 30-day trials of all the products: eaDocX, ea Revision Manager, eaSheets, Model Expert and PortfolioManager. Discover for yourself why we sell the world’s best-selling Enterprise Architect extension.

Download