Products

Home Forums eaDocX queries Include specific diagram types

Home Forums eaDocX queries Include specific diagram types

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Heather Wallace
    Participant

We produce a number of different documents from the same architecture. A particular element may have one type of diagram that is only needed for a higher level architecture document, and another that is an elaboration not relevant until the document showing the next level of design. Currently I have to manually switch off each diagram of the wrong type in the preview window, and have to manually set the diagram order under each element in Enterprise Architect. If authors add additional diagrams after the template is set up they may be included in error.

It would be much more usable and less error-prone if the inline element profile specification could include a choice of diagram types (including stereotypes), rather than a simple “diagrams” attribute. (It will be our problem to make sure the architects always use the correct diagram type!).

Is this on the roadmap?

A simpler solution might be to allow a global exclusion of a diagram type/stereotype from the template. We will be using custom diagram types specific to the level of the architecture, so this would also enable us to achieve our required outputs.

eadocX Support
    Participant

Good suggestion.
    It’s not currently on the roadmap, just because nobody has asked for it – until now!
    The trick will be to implement it in such a way that all existing documents continue to work the same – not too hard – but also that we don’t clutter-up the UI with yet more options which most users won’t want.
    Hence I like the idea of a global exclude/include rule, which could be kept away from the main UI.
    So if we were to introduce a simple document-level setting, which either
    – included ONLY documents of a specified type+stereotype, or
    – excluded all documents of a type+stereotype, would this be sufficient ? It would fit under Options & Settings, Diagram?
    I’d make it so that you could put multiple types & stereotypes in either.

Heather Wallace
    Participant

That sounds like it would work well for us. I suspect we would use the exclude more often than the include. I’ve not used element reports before, but am intending to incorporate them next time round rather than pasting together multiple documents into one deliverable. The excluded documents may need to be different for the embedded element reports. Would the global setting for the main document be overriden in the included element reports (which would each have their own global setting)?

Heather

eadocX Support
    Participant

I’m imagining that the exclude/include rule would apply per document, whether the diagram is being printed as part of the regular, package-base section, or as part of an ELement Report, or any other reason.
    I’d just get the generator to do a quick check before it prints the diagram, just to minimise the scope of the change.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Compare licence prices

Choose the licence that’s right for you and your team

Prices

Download a free trial

Download eaTeamWorks today for several free for life features, plus no obligation, 30-day trials of all the products: eaDocX, ea Revision Manager, eaSheets, Model Expert and PortfolioManager. Discover for yourself why we sell the world’s best-selling Enterprise Architect extension.

Download