Products

Home Forums eaDocX queries Related Element Tagged Values Return error

Home Forums eaDocX queries Related Element Tagged Values Return error

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Neil Burt
    Participant

Hi,

Am working with printing tagged values of related stereotyped elements.

On specifying the type of relationship and target element and specifying the tagged value to print; the target element Tagged Value drop down returns the original source element tagged value set. This source element tagged value set remains greyed out when selected alternative target elements, i.e. does not change to reflect the target element.

The attribute and tagged value of the relationship drop downs work correctly.

The tagged values do return/ print when printing the stereotype values.

An working with UML profiles for these elements.

On a similar project, this has all worked correctly.

EAdocxs 3.8.6.0
    ea Build 1308

eadocX Support
    Participant

I’ve tried to reproduce this issue, but no success (i.e, it works)
    So I created two elements: Requirement1 and Feature1, connected by a Realization connector.
    I gave Requirement1 two TVs: TV1 and TV2.
    Elsewhere in my model, there are loads of Requirements and Features, with all kinds of TVs.
    So when printing Features (in the Feature – table formatting window) I can see all the TVs of Features (but not TV1 and TV2 – they are TVs of a Requirement).
    If i choose ‘Add attribute of related element’, and pick ‘Realization’ and ‘Requirement’ in the relevant fields, then in the TV drop below, I get all the TVs of Requirement, which includes TV1 and TV2.

What are you doing differently?

Neil Burt
    Participant

Morning,

Nothing! and as I said I have had this working (and multi-hops)in another model.

Just loaded latest ea build as well.

Tried on a similar element, and again the TV options I get in “specify what to print” are those for the source equipment not target.

As I mentioned the only difference with this model and the last ( working one) was use of set tagged values in the UML profile for the stereotypes ( set up using attributes for enum values)
    These TV can be recalled by EAdocx in a table on the stereotype.

Neil Burt
    Participant

Hi,

Played around a bit and have a clearer view of what’s not working.
    Have attached a dummy project and test profile.
    Essentially I need the tag value of equipments located in (dependent link) in compartments.
    Both compartment and equipment are profiled.
    In EADocx I set up the compartment stereotype to show a dependent equipment tag, but only get the tag value range from the source ( ie compartment)as options.

However, if I use a non-profiled class element as a pseudo compartment, and try the same I get the intended equipment tags as options.

So the hiccup seems to be profile stereotype to profile stereotype.

Any help appreciated.

eadocX Support
    Participant

did you mail the stuff to support@ ?

Neil Burt
    Participant

hopefully you have them now

eadocX Support
    Participant

Ah – enlightenment.
    You’ve been using a bit of EA which I’ve never seen before. So not surprising that eaDocX doesn’t understand it either.
    Somehow you’ve managed to create a really exotic TV: its taggedValue.notes in the database is:
    …but it also has a non-blank value of ‘taggedvalue.value’: usually, here means ‘there are some notes’ but here you have a value AND some Notes.
    Weird.
    …which is new function to me.
    So, eaDocX just doesn’t print this kind of structured notes fields in TVs.

Neil Burt
    Participant

Hmmmm,

I’ve stripped back the fancy TV’s and still get the problem.

The TVs can be returned on the profiled stereotypes themselves, so they can be “read”, but they cant be accessed over a relationship link, if the relationship contains profile stereotyped at both ends.

If a non-profiled stereotype is linked to a profiled stereotype I can get the TV’s I need, so that doesn’t suggest its the TV’s themselves does it?

eadocX Support
    Participant

OK – you lost me a bit there, but I think I get the idea.
    Basically, eaDocX just reads the value from the EA API – get an element, look for a TV of the right name, read the value. All this dark magic means it’s all going to be a case of ‘suck it and see’ i’m afraid

Neil Burt
    Participant

so in your example, “look for a TV of the right name” in the looking bit it doesn’t give you the TVs of the target element, only the source ( TVs being different in each stereotype)
    I’ve worked around the issue by using a non profiled element, with no TVs itself, linked to a profiled stereotype and I can return the TVs I need.
    To resolve TVs for non-profiled element, I’ve inherited from a class. Bit of a faf and relies on me on ever needing non-profile to profiles relationships.

eadocX Support
    Participant

Ah – I think I’m starting to get it.
    In the drop-down list of available TVs, there are only the list of TVs of the source, not the target.
    Who writes this rubbish??
    I am investigating..

eadocX Support
    Participant

OK – i think i’ve fixed both bits -see eaDocX 3.9.3.4 now on the website.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Compare licence prices

Choose the licence that’s right for you and your team

Prices

Download a free trial

Download eaTeamWorks today for several free for life features, plus no obligation, 30-day trials of all the products: eaDocX, ea Revision Manager, eaSheets, Model Expert and PortfolioManager. Discover for yourself why we sell the world’s best-selling Enterprise Architect extension.

Download