Products

Home Forums eaDocX queries Server Busy – Modal Dialog

Home Forums eaDocX queries Server Busy – Modal Dialog

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Andy Johnstone
    Participant

Hi team,

I’ve been caught by this a couple of times…

If I’m trying to update a document, and windows believes the file to be locked on the network.

There is a modal dialogue that results: “Server Busy – This action can not be completed because the other program is busy. Choose `Switch to’ to activate the busy program and correct the problem”

Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be any way to back out from this dialog.

Neither “Switch To” or “Retry” offer any assistance, and the Cancel button (and effectively the close dialog widget) are disabled.

This has the potential to be quite user unfriendly. (i.e. the only way out is to force EA to close via the program manager).

Andy

Andy Johnstone
    Participant

Please note, once this dialog has been spawned, there appears to be no way to correct the problem. Unlocking the file does not clear the error condition in eaDocX

Andy Johnstone
    Participant

Further info:

There was a hidden modal dialog spawned by MS Word which I couldn’t find, because the modal dialog in
    EA was preventing me from navigating it.

I only found that one, because it was revealed by forcing EA to close through program manager.

Two MDs fighting for supremacy?

🙂

eadocX Support
    Participant

We agree – this is a pain.
    We’ve had several tries to fix this one. When you try to open a document in eaDocX which is already opened in Word elsewhere, we tried to take-over to the document, but that seems a bit dangerous – someone else might be using it.
    The only advice we can give is to only edit eaDocX documents inside eaDocX: the most common place this occurs is when the same person opens the document in native Word and eaDocX.
    We can’t figure out how to make this dialog come to the top, as it’s produced by Word, not eaDocX.

The problem is easily fixed by:
    – close eaDocX
    – open the file in native Word, which may complain that the document is broken – it usually isn’t
    – close the document nicely
    – kill-off any dangling winword.exe isnatnces, using task manager
    – open in eaDocX, and carry on…

Not simple, but most users seem to get used to only openeing in eaDocX.

Andy Johnstone
    Participant

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

Definitely one to avoid if I can. Closing eaDocX didn’t seem to be available, probably because of the dialog conflict. I’ll see if I can find a way to prevent (or at least identify) that one.

I’ve been editing the documents outside of eaDocX because updating fields in Word via eaDocX seems to be causing stability problems. (These are custom fields which identify the document version, version date, project etc.)

Joël Schöni
    Participant

Giving it some time is also something that works. After waiting about 5 minutes and pressing “retry” it works. Maybe in my case it’s a different situation though, because I open it from a Sharepoint source and not from my local hard disk?

eadocX Support
    Participant

it seems to happen when Word is taking a long time to open a document, either because its the first time since you machine re-started, or because the document is on a slow server or a slow link. Again, nothing we can do as this message comes from the depths of COM.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Compare licence prices

Choose the licence that’s right for you and your team

Prices

Download a free trial

Download eaTeamWorks today for several free for life features, plus no obligation, 30-day trials of all the products: eaDocX, ea Revision Manager, eaSheets, Model Expert and PortfolioManager. Discover for yourself why we sell the world’s best-selling Enterprise Architect extension.

Download