Products

Home Forums eaDocX queries Stop generation for specific stereotyped packages

Home Forums eaDocX queries Stop generation for specific stereotyped packages

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Robyn Allsman
    Participant

HI, I want to inhibit all output generation for Packages (and their contents) which are stereotyped with a homebrew specification <>. I load all TestCases for a Package into a sub-package of that stereotype. I have tried eaDocX documented methods to effect this non-print — all to no avail.

Preconditions: I am using the ‘Compact UseCases’ document profile. I have Packages of stereotype <> which I don’t want included in the eaDocX word doc generated.

#1: Use the shared EA & eaDocX flag to inhibit print of packages:
    * In the Project Browser,
    * Right-click the package NOT to be printed
    * Select: ‘Documentation’
    * Select: ”Generated Reports Options …’
    * In pop-up, Select “Exclude Package from Generated Reports
    * Select OK
    * have eaDocX generate the report which would normally include that inhibited Package.

Result: it prints those “excluded” packages just as usual.

So moving on to a different approach which sounded even easier than the first….

#2: Bring up the eaDocX document previously generated using the ‘Compact Use cases’ Profile:
    * Using the eaDocX Profile option: [Add Element]
    * Select menu item ‘Element Type’:: Package
    * Select menu item ‘Available Sterotypes’:: ‘TestScriptContainer’
    * Select menu item ‘Style’:: ‘None; do not print’
    * Unselect menu item: ‘Copy formatting of un-stereotyped element’
    * Select ‘Continue’
    * In response to pop-up: “This will exclude all elements of type: <> Package from your Document. Are you Sure?”, response: ‘Yes’

Result…the Packages still prints.

So, what’s wrong with either of these techniques? Or, how should I be inhibiting the output generation of a package and its contents.

Do I need to start with a fresh document so that the very first generation does not include the undesirable Packages? I originally didn’t have these sub-packages since I hadn’t yet done any testcase generation on the Structured Scenarios. Now that they exist, I need to separate out the reports so that the testcases are not printed in the Structured Scenario report and vice versa.

TIA for any comments.

eadocX Support
    Participant

#1 was never going to work, but I rather like the idea of having eadocX look at that little ‘do not print me’ flag, so that’s something we’ll look at…

#2, I just tried this, and it seemed to work: I followed all the same steps as you, and created a Package with a stereotype of ‘wibble’, then created a Profile for <>Packages which said ‘do not print’.
    And the package didn’t print.
    Can you email a small XMI so I can try with your model? Send to support@eadocx.com

Robyn Allsman
    Participant

Thanks for your guidance. I was still unsuccessful using procedure #2. However, since you were successful I decided to try something close but different. The procedure I outline below worked fine. Why approaching it one way vs the other way does not work is beyond my current level.

Procedure to prevent the output of user-defined stereotyped Packages:
    * Either use an existing eaDocX document or load up the profile and section for a new eaDocX document. I use the Compact Use Case profile provided in the ‘Exploring eaDocX’ examples.

* Bring up the ‘Profile’ tab (containing all elements potentially output)
    * Single rt-click on ‘Package’ to bring up menu
    * select ‘Create Profile for stereotype…’
    * The element type will be grayed out ‘Package’
    * In the ‘Available Stereotypes’ field, select ‘TestScriptContainer’
    * In ‘Style’ field, select ‘None- do not print’
    * Uncheck the ‘Copy formatting of un-stereotyped element’
    * Select ‘Continue’
    * Respond affirmatively to the pop-up confirmation dialog.
    * Then using the ‘Generate Document’ menu: select ‘Full’

And this time the <> stereotyped packages do NOT print. Success!

The difference between the working and non-working version is how I call up the detailed ‘Package’ profile for editing. The non-successful method is to use the ‘Add Element’ button at the bottom of the Profile browser window. The successful method is to select the ‘Package’ element in the ‘Profile’ browser window to bring up the element’s menu and then select the ‘Create Profile for stereotype’ option.

The documentation talked about the former method as a means to prevent printing; the later I realized might be a backdoor access to the same sub-window and it was.

And I’ve just discovered (again) “Exploring – Inline formatting” and it describes how to prevent printing for different situations: by element type, by element stereotype, by specific element. The many detailed examples are great resources that I keep reviewing since I pick up fresh nuances on each read.

Thanks for your help.

eadocX Support
    Participant

Hi Robyn,
    Thanks for this – I’m pleased you’re now making progress.
    Strange that it works one way, but not the other – I will investigate!
    Ian

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Compare licence prices

Choose the licence that’s right for you and your team

Prices

Download a free trial

Download eaTeamWorks today for several free for life features, plus no obligation, 30-day trials of all the products: eaDocX, ea Revision Manager, eaSheets, Model Expert and PortfolioManager. Discover for yourself why we sell the world’s best-selling Enterprise Architect extension.

Download