Products

Home Forums eaDocX queries Use linked elements hyperlinking in generated doc

Home Forums eaDocX queries Use linked elements hyperlinking in generated doc

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Norman Dannhoff
    Participant

Hi all,
    We have an EA project containing a Business Analysis package as well as a Functional Design Package. The Functional Design package contains use case element, while the Business Analysis package contains requirements elements. The use cases are linked via a realize connector to the requirements. The Functional Design package also contains a diagram, which displays all requirements in scope for the Functional Design. The requirement elements are links to the Business Analysis package.

I do now trigger my document generation. Using my template, I first print a table of all scoped requirements, then print the use cases. With the use case, I do also print the name of the requirements connected to the use case via the realize connector.

My problem: When printing the use cases, I do currently print the alias of the realized requirement. BUT I would like to print a hyperlink to the requirement in the requirement table (to easily jump to the resolved requirement). Is this possible?
    My current workaround is: Do not use a table representation for the requirements, but text with headings. However, I’d like to try to avoid headings where ever possible. Only use them on main topics, since the docs turn out way more readable.

Hope, this was understandable,
    best regards,
    Norman

eadocX Support
    Participant

It sounds like you have done the hard part! – defining the relationships between the UseCase and the Requirement, and printing the Alias of the Requirement.
    To get a hyperlink to the Requirement, just edit the ‘Attribute of Related Element’ to print ‘Alias – Hyperlinked’ instead of ‘Alias’ which yo have at the moment: it’s at the top of the list of ‘Standard Attributes’.

Norman Dannhoff
    Participant

Many thanks for the fast reply!

Well, to me the hyperlink is the hard part 🙂 It seems like EADocX resolves hyperlinks via bookmarks on document heading formatting.

Within the document, my requirements are rendered into a table (that is, how I defined the profile for my requirement stereotype). When I now generate the document, I see my referenced requirements at the use case documentation … but not as hyperlink (event though, this is the selected format).

I then changed the profile of the requirement and print them as Inline Text with a defined header. Now it works! The references at the use case are hyperlinked.

But I want the requirements to be in a table (since this looks a lot more tidy and saves space).

Any idea?

(I am now using 3.3.15.1. I found an old document which I generated with 3.3.something … and there it worked?! Within that document I have valid hyperlinks from the Use Case to the requirements which are rendered into a table)

Thanks for listening,
    Norman

I have exactly the same problem, if I print “Name – hyperlinked”, I get a list of the (hyperlinked) names.
    But I want them in a table. When I check the box “inline table”, the names will appear in the table, but not as a hyperlink.

Please help…

eadocX Support
    Participant

I have tried to reproduce this (in v3.4), but with no success. Please can someone send me an XMI which re-creates the issue ?
    Thanks

Norman Dannhoff
    Participant

Attached find an example. Using the EADocX template ProblemExampleWorks which renders Requirement elements inline, my hyperlinking works fine. However, I want the requirements to show up in a table, so in example ProblemExampleNoWorks. This template renders requirements into table format. Unfortunately my hyperlinking does not work anymore.

It seems like hyperlinking only works, when I specify a heading for a single source element. However, in table representation, thi does not seem to be possible.

Hope, this helps understanding my problem.

Many thanks,
    Norman

Norman Dannhoff
    Participant

Ops, seems like I forgot to attach the example EA project.

Norman Dannhoff
    Participant

next try … I renamed the file extension from eap to txt.

eadocX Support
    Participant

I tried to replicate this issue:

1. Created the three requirements and the use case, linked them with a Realization connector
    2. Created a QuickDocument from the package, which made both the Use Case and the Requirements in tables, with correct hyperlinks, as per your ‘working’ example
    3. Change the Profile of the Use Case to be inline. eaDocX copied the profile across from table to Inline, so i didn’t change anything
    4. re-generated – hyperlinks were present

What are you doing that’s different from this ?

Norman Dannhoff
    Participant

Hmm, I think the difference is:
    1) I create the requirements
    2) Link the requirements to a feature (via trace links, but that probably doesn’t really matter)
    3) Link the requirements to a Use Case (via realization link)

From the EA project you may see, that the project contains 2 top level views (Business Analysis and Functional Design). The requirements are placed in the Business Analysis view, the rest goes into the Functional Design.
    I trigger the document generation on the Functional Design view (meaning the requirement elements are not part of the package/view). I therefore use the feature element and report the requirements via the “Related Elements” function of EADocX. And here is also the difference between my two solution: Depending on the EADocX profile of the Requirement (table or inline), my hyperlinking works or does not work.

I do also report the requirements via the use cases, and here I actually use the hyperlinking to the requirements (related to the feature).

… complicate to explain, hope I was better this time …

Many thanks for your efforts,
    Norman

eadocX Support
    Participant

Norman,
    Thanks for the sample data: at least we’re both looking at the same model now 🙂
    I have tried to reproduce the error (with eaDocX v3.4) but so far it all seems to work.
    Are you using 3.4 as well?
    I can make it work with the back-hyperlink from Use Case to Requirement printed either as simple inline attribute, like
    Realizes Requirements: Requirement1, Requirement2, Requirement3
    or as an inline table, which produces much the same result, only with the three hyperlinks in a table separated by line-feed/CR.

So I can only think it’s because we’re using different code versions?

Norman Dannhoff
    Participant

Ok, we are currently using 3.3.15. Maybe we need to upgrade. I’ll try to install a test version and keep you posted.

One more thing (maybe I was not clear in the above): I get the hyperlinks in both versions. However, in the noWork version, they point into nirvana. In the Work version, the actually point to the correct requirement.

many thanks,
    Norman

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Compare licence prices

Choose the licence that’s right for you and your team

Prices

Download a free trial

Download eaTeamWorks today for several free for life features, plus no obligation, 30-day trials of all the products: eaDocX, ea Revision Manager, eaSheets, Model Expert and PortfolioManager. Discover for yourself why we sell the world’s best-selling Enterprise Architect extension.

Download